As things have developed, I have become more interested in the form of the ceramic objects as opposed to them as a new surface to add marks too. The smaller poured pieces have a very satisfying thickness to them and i've started to think about them as buttons to be added on to paintings. I've added in holes to the newest batch and will sew them on.
Its something about letting the materials show off their specificities. The digital print on paper has been abandoned, the printer paper it comes on is too white and flat. Whilst I thought I wanted to incorporate this readymade aspect, I found it hard to work with when it came back to the studio. The digital print on ceramic is still a possibility, progress has been very slow with this.
Some stained newsprint which was a leftover from a childrens workshop has proved to have much staying power in the studio, both as ripped fragments and most recently, as full sheets. I'm now going to attempt to recreate these to make more.
These elements will come together for the showcase on 22nd March. It feels like a welcome sidestep from making paintings, and exciting to see what impact they might have moving forward.